Surrendering Your Pet
The Humane Society of Camden County, Inc. (HSCC) is now a no kill facility and a selective admission shelter, meaning we take in certain adoptable animals surrendered by their owners. While we respect the difficult decision of owners relinquishing their pets, we will only accept pets that fit our criteria and based on our capacity and resources. Note: We do not take in stray animals.
The admission of a surrendered pet into the HSCC is dependent upon the animal’s health and temperament. Our intake guidelines ensure that the animals in our care are as physically healthy as possible so that they can find a happy, life-long home quickly. The HSCC’s intake guidelines include, but are not limited to:
• A pet must be weaned, eating solid food, and at least 8 weeks old;
• All dogs 6+ months must undergo a heartworm test and may be declined due to a positive test;
• All cats must undergo a feline combo test and may be declined due to a positive test;
• All pets must be free of any visible skin issues such as ringworm or mange;
• All pets must be friendly and socialized and cannot exhibit any aggressive or extreme fearful behaviors toward other animals or humans (Please be mindful that a pet can behave very differently in a shelter environment versus a home setting with people they know and trust.);
• The HSCC also accepts small mammals such as ferrets, birds, rabbits, guinea pigs, and hamsters as our resources allow.
Pets previously adopted from the HSCC will be considered for surrender if kennels are available. Please notify the HSCC as soon as possible if you are faced with returning an adopted HSCC pet.
The HSCC is a private, nonprofit corporation with no government or corporate funding. We rely on grants, fundraisers, and donations to keep our doors open. The surrender fee helps ease the HSCC’s costs for providing continued care while the pets wait for their new forever homes. Surrender fees are as follows:
• $100.00 for an unaltered cat;
• $50.00 for an altered cat (with proof of spay/neuter);
• $120.00 for an unaltered dog;
• $60.00 for an altered dog with proof of spay/neuter)
Should you desire to surrender your pet, an appointment is required so that we can manage our intake. Please call our shelter at 912-729-7141 to make an appointment. Please allow a minimum of 30 minutes for the evaluation process. A no show without a cancellation automatically turns your appointment deposit into a nonrefundable donation to the HSCC. Also, please click the link below to fill out the surrender request form. Note: the submission of this form does not guarantee that the HSCC will take your pet. This form gives our staff more information about the pet. The HSCC has the right to refuse any pet that does not meet our intake guidelines.